My heart goes out to all affected by the flooding across Calgary and Southern Alberta. Over the past week I have witnessed and heard countless acts of kindness and generosity. I wanted to take the time to thank those who provided shelter to families in their homes . I am very humbled at the willingness, selfishness, and efficacy in which Calgarians come together to support one another. An incredible number of you continue to bring much needed resources to emergency evacuation centers. For those of you who still want to help please visit the Calgary Clean-Up Event on Facebook or the yychelps.ca website. A number of organizations are accepting donations:
Canadian Red Cross
For assistance and location of family members call 1-866-696-6484.
To volunteer to assist with clean-up efforts call 1-866-628-6565.
Canadians can donate to the Canadian Red Cross Alberta Floods Response at the website or call 1-800-418-1111.
Canadians can also donate to the Salvation Army Alberta Relief Effort. Call 1-800-725-2769.
Calgary Drop-in & Rehab Centre
The centre is seeking various goods and supplies including socks, underwear, hygiene supplies, blankets and pillows, towels and plungers. Call 403-699-8260.
Other organizations seeking assistance include the YWCA of Calgary and Volunteer Calgary.
If you have been evacuated and are waiting further instruction, the Calgary City News Blog lists all the re-entry information centers as well as re-entry instructions so that you and your family can safely return home.
Below are all road and bridge closures as of 11:13 p.m., June 25, 2013. I will continue to update this list as information becomes available.
View an interactive live map of road and bridge closures provided by Google Crisis Response.
Bridges CLOSED – Bow River:
- 5 Avenue Flyover closed to the public (restricted access – Transit Only)
- Centre Street Bridge: lower deck only closed (upper deck open).
- 4 Avenue flyover closed to the public (restricted access – Transit Only.)
- Langevin Bridge (Edmonton Trail) closed to public (restricted access – Transit Only)
- St. George’s Bridge (12 Street)
- Baines Bridge (Zoo Road) (restricted access)
Bridges CLOSED – Elbow River:
- McDonald Bridge closed to public (restricted access – Transit only)
- 9 Ave SE Bridge closed to public (restricted access – Transit only)
- MacLeod Trail Northbound bridge is closed. Two-way traffic situation on SB bridge allows limited travel in both directions between 25th Avenue and 17th Avenue SE.
- 25th Ave Bridge – major roadwork underway
- 4th Street W (17th Avenue to 10th Avenue) – restricted access
- 12 Ave South (14 Street SW to 3 St SE) restricted access
- No access to 3rd Street east of City Hall and 9th Ave between 2nd Street and 3rd Street East
- Lafarge Access Road Closed to Public (East of Deerfoot Trail – restricted access)
- Heritage Drive between Heritage Meadows Road and Glenmore Trail SE (EB/WB)
- 9 Avenue west of 8th Street E (restricted access)
- 12 St (Zoo Road) between Memorial Drive and 8th Avenue SE (restricted access on Baines Bridge)
- No access from eastbound Memorial Drive to Saint Georges Drive NE
- EB Memorial slip road from Baines Bridge to 12 Street NE (restricted access only)
- EB Memorial Drive from 4 Street NE to Crowchild Trail NW
- Back Alley between 25 Ave and 27 Ave South – West of Macleod Trail closed due to sink hole.
- 25 Avenue west of Spiller Road to 4 Street SW
The following is the June 25 (a.m.) key messages on the Calgary power system, as provided via CEMA for this morning’s Mayor media briefing.
Flood-Related Transit Information
|McKenzie Towne Express|
|Hidden Valley Express||
|Erin Woods Express|
|Valley Ridge Express||
|New Brighton Express|
|MRU North Express|
|MRU South Express|
|Downtown / East Calgary|
|Foothills / Parkhill|
|Harvest Hills Express||
|Douglas Glen Express|
|Coventry Hills Express|